Can you lose fat + gain muscle simultaneously?
For most people, the answer is NO ❌
Losing fat + gaining muscle are 2 conflicting goals and can be tough to accomplish at the same time.
One of the most important things that I stress to my clients is getting clear on your goals. Are you more interested in the # on the scale/clothing OR what you LOOK like/body composition?
That athletic looking physique/body composition you desire, most likely has more muscle than you do right now AND might even weigh more than you do right now. And chances are, you have to spend some time working on things like stress, sleep, and hormone health before you approach a calorie deficit.
Let’s cover the 101…
How to LOSE WEIGHT
- Create a caloric deficit.
- In order to see fat loss, you have to create a caloric deficit and eat below your maintenance calories.
- It really doesn’t matter how you achieve the caloric deficit. You can eat carbs (or not), do Paleo, Keto, Intermittent Fasting, etc, etc.
- BUT… why restrict certain food groups when you don’t have to?
- You want to pick a way of eating that is sustainable for you.
- The best way of dieting for you is the one you can do consistently and enjoy doing.
- You also don’t have to do cardio or HIIT to lose weight (Amen!). But you do have to be in a caloric deficit.
*The only disclaimer* Are you in a position to lose weight? You should be in an off-season from your competitions, you shouldn’t be struggling with thyroid, hormonal issues, stress/sleep, energy, libiod, etc. And you shouldn’t be coming from a place of chronically dieting. If you are, you probably need to spend more time addressing these issues.
How to IMPROVE BODY COMPOSITION
- Contrary to belief, you can’t turn fat into muscle 😉
- If you don’t put the work into eating at maintenance/surplus + lifting weights you probs aren’t going to get abs, defined/toned muscles, or a shredded bod when you diet down.
- If you want to get stronger, set PR’s, or improve your body composition you need to lift weights and EAT all macros (carbs, proteins, + fats).
- The athletic looking body you desire generally requires having lots more muscle on your frame and probably weighs more than you do right now.
Interested in getting stronger, setting PR’s, improving your body composition, and feeling comfortable in your skin? Get started with a FREE Discovery Call. https://coachingwithabby.com/apply-now/